Saturday, October 3, 2009

Gravity


I was sitting in Spanish Church last night, and trying my hardest, with all my good Spanish, to follow everything, but my mind started to wander to a concept I've been trying to put into words for awhile. God's Love is like Gravity. I was thinking that if I asked someone to define gravity, the common answer would be that it is the force that pushes us down and keeps us on the Earth. What is interesting is that this common answer is wrong. The actual definition as confirmed by Wikipedia and asking my wife is: a phenomenon where two objects are mutually exert a force of attraction towards each other. So, you might think that this definition of mutual attraction is where I am headed with comparing God's love to gravity, but actually what I find interesting is that even if you got the scientific definition of gravity wrong, you didn't go flying off the planet hurtling into space.

In other words, even if you've never heard of gravity, if you have no idea how to explain why we remain on the surface of the Earth, gravity continues to exist and continues to have an affect on your life. This is how I think gravity is like God's love, even if you can't define God's love, even if you have the definition wrong, even if you have never heard of God's love, His love continues to have an affect on your life.

Another thing that I thought was interesting is that there is a possibility that there is a rocket scientist out there somewhere reading this post, and when they are asked to define gravity they can spit out the following answer:

Noun1.theory of gravity - (physics) the theory that any two particles of matter attract one another with a force directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them

There is probably someone out there that could write a 108 page paper defining gravity, what I find interesting in that aspect is that gravity has no greater impact on their lives than the person that can't even begin to explain it. God's love exists in an equal portion for all people regardless of the level of understanding or acknowledgment. But, without understanding gravity you can't launch a rocket into space, you can't orbit the earth, you can't take full advantage of everything gravity has to offer.

The more we understand God's love and the impact His love for us has on our lives, the more of His benefits we have to enjoy.

0 Comments: